Temporary measures required to help contain COVID-19 outbreak
TORONTO — The Ministry of Long-Term Care is appointing Humber River Hospital as interim manager at Villa Colombo in North York.
Despite receiving support and advice from Humber River Hospital for weeks, Villa Colombo has been unable to contain the spread of COVID-19. Humber River Hospital will now manage care in the home along with the team at Villa Colombo and fill the executive director role on a temporary basis.
“Our government will continue to act to keep Ontarians safe, especially our most vulnerable people in long-term care,” said Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, Minister of Long-Term Care. “I am confident that the talented staff at Humber River Hospital and Villa Colombo will work together to combat COVID-19.”
During these unprecedented times, it’s important to use every tool available to keep Ontarians safe. Voluntary management contracts come hand-in-hand with other measures the province has taken on behalf of long-term care residents and staff, including emergency funding, regulatory flexibility, staffing support, expanded testing, along with direction and guidance on outbreak management, and infection prevention and control.
The Ministry of Long-Term Care will continue to make decisions on which long-term care homes may require additional management support on a case-by-case basis.
- The government recently announced the launch of an independent, non-partisan commission into Ontario’s long-term care system beginning in July 2020. Details of the commission are now being finalized, including the terms of reference, membership, leadership of the commission and reporting timelines.
- Testing of long-term care residents and staff for COVID-19 has been completed with additional rounds of testing underway.
- Visit Ontario’s website to learn more about how the province continues to protect Ontarians from COVID-19.
- The COVID-19 Action Plan: Long-Term Care Homes outlines the steps that the government is taking to protect residents and staff in long-term care homes.
- Emergency information and orders.
- Ontario Taking Action on Key Recommendations from Public Inquiry into the Safety and Security of Residents in the Long-Term Care Homes System.