July 13, 2015 - The Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, today met with the Greater Oshawa Chamber along with other Chamber and Board of Trade colleagues, regional and municipal leaders, and business stakeholders from across Durham Region to discuss the government’s next steps in the management of the Pickering Lands. The Minister of Transport announced that an Independent Advisor familiar with and to the Pickering
Lands and Durham Region will conduct the consultations regarding the retained lands. Simultaneously, Minister Raitt confirmed that Transport Canada will conduct a full assessment study of the aviation needs in the GTA. Transport Canada is committed to an open and transparent process concerning the future development of the Pickering Lands site. No decisions have been made on the development or timing of a potential future airport. In a joint effort, the Greater Oshawa Chamber will continue to advocate alongside our neighbours to bring more jobs and employment opportunities to Durham Region.
• The Pickering Lands are located 56 kilometres northeast of downtown Toronto and encompass lands in Pickering, Markham and Uxbridge.
• Transport Canada is responsible for the day-to-day management and long-term planning for the federally owned Pickering Lands.
• The Government of Canada has made a significant financial commitment for the establishment of Rouge National Urban Park in providing $143.7 million of funding over 10 years and $7.6 million per year thereafter for its continuing protection and operation.
• For latest information, please visit the Pickering Lands webpage at: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/ontario/pickering-menu-1362.htm
• For more information on the Rouge National Urban Park: www.parkscanada.gc.ca/rouge
Read more here.