OSHAWA – There’s no place like home for the holidays. To ensure the holiday season remains a time of celebration for you and your family, Oshawa Fire Services reminds community members to follow these important fire prevention tips:
- Real Christmas trees should be kept fresh and full of water.
- Keep trees away from all heat sources and make sure your tree doesn’t block any doorways.
- Never place lit candles on or near the Christmas tree.
- Carefully inspect new and previously used Christmas light strings and replace any damaged lights or frayed wires prior to plugging the lights in.
- Remember not to overload extension cords.
- Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving the house or going to bed.
- Keep candles in sturdy holders on level surfaces with a glass chimney or shade over it.
- Always be sure to extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
- Install smoke alarms on every storey and outside all sleeping areas.
- For added protection, install a smoke alarm in each bedroom.
- Test your smoke alarms monthly.
- Carbon monoxide alarms are required by law to be installed outside any sleeping areas.
Holiday Cooking Safety
- Clear the stove area of items that might catch fire easily.
- Try to use the back burners as much as possible; when using front burners, remember to turn the pot handles inwards.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby.